Monday, January 28, 2008

Planting here and there (27 January 2008)

While I was at mum and dad's for christmas, mum gave me some plants to bring back and plant in my garden beds. She gave me a pot of Arum Lillies, Aspidistras and some sort of fast and easy to grow daisy thingy. So this morning I planted them out.
The Arum Lillies and Aspergas are in the back. Some of the leaves are burned (this happened when I brought them home in the car on a 36 degree summer day). But I can see new shoots forming so they will look lush in time. In the front are the little daisies. These seem to grow really fast (they had almost doubled their size in the pot in the last 3 weeks) so I may have to dig them up and redistribute them again later. But that's OK.


By the way - this is my Ficus Pumila (Creeping Fig). I LOVE this plant (some people hate it because it can be too vigorous and too invasive - but I love the shapes it makes as it crawls up walls). I planted this back at the start of December 2007 - so it's making pretty good progress. I actually took some cuttings from this and placed them on the ground about a metre away. It's my first attempt at propagation. Fingers crossed that I have some success.

While I was in the planting mood, I also decided to plant out a Lemon Verbena and Rosemary plant that had both been in pots for way too long. The Lemon Verbena smells divine...but only when I planted it out did I read the label properly and found out that it's deciduous!! Bummer. Mum gave me this Rosemary months ago, but I could never decide where to plant it. I decided just to chuck it in the ground (in the space where I lost a Hebe Buxifolia at Christmas time) and then I will move it later on once I know where I want it.

I also planted out a large pot of Italian Parsley that I bought at Poynton's on Saturday morning. I did have some Parsley but it bolted in the hot weather and went to seed. Hopefully I will have great big bunches of Parsley again soon.

At Bunnings in Highpoint I also bought two small Ficus Pumilas (they were cheap - $2.50 each) and four Chinese Star Jasmines. I haven't planted these out yet - that will have to wait until next weekend.

No comments: