Sunday, March 2, 2008

Some Valuable Tips for Working with a Tradesman

Hooray the paving is all done. It ended up taking 8 days to finish - because of rain and some other delays.

My relationship with the paving guy on the last couple of days was a bit strained. He was feeling the pressure, i think, because he was running overtime and had other clients waiting on him. I was feeling a bit tense because some of what they had done didn't match the plan like it shoud. Now, I know a plan is a plan (and what do they say about "the best laid plans...") but there was just a couple of things done that was a bit off - nothing too serious and stuff that I could easily live with (like the main circle being about 60cm too far to the south), but when the paving guy started to push back a bit about some changes I had requested, that's when things became a little tense.

I had asked for two changes and he was looking a bit miffed about it, he said a couple of times "I just followed what was on your plan". I let that comment slide initially, but when he said it for a third time, I took a stand. I told him: "actually, what you have done is slightly different to the plan and that's why we need to make these changes now". I pointed out how the main circle was slightly in the wrong spot meaning the porch garden bed wasn't going to be a symmetrical shape, like i had planned. Once I pointed that out to him, he understood and was more cooperative. He even offered to move the whole thing so the big circle was is it's planned position. I thanked him but said don't worry about it. So, all up, both the paver and I had to cooperate and make some compromises to get the job done.

I have learned some important lessons which I will definitely remember next time we engage a tradie:
  1. Don't feel intimidated. Tell them exactly what you have planned/want done. Down to the most minute detail you can imagine. You might not consciouly realise it at the time, but you do have ideas about how the job should be finished off.
  2. Try to be on site for the first two days of the job. This way you can keep an eye on things and make sure they are sticking to your plans. I really struggle with this one because I don't want them to think that I'm spying on them or don't trust what they are doing.
  3. Don't be scared to question what they have done very early on. I always hestiate and think "oh maybe they have just done it like that for the time being and it will change later on".
  4. You're paying for the job, so do everything you can to get it exactly as you want it. you're the one that will have to live with it.

No comments: